Re: Standalone Stratum 1 NTP Server

  • From: David G. Andersen
  • Date: Wed Aug 28 03:15:05 2002

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 11:07:10PM -0700, Jim Hickstein mooed:
> --On Wednesday, August 28, 2002 12:51 AM -0400 "David G. Andersen"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> At work, it's all steel studs and foil-backed wallboard, and the windows
> (for a patch GPS antenna) are _way over there_.  *sigh*   I'd love it if
> someone would pay for my roof penetration there.

  Does your cell phone work in the room?  The CDMA time receivers
work in the strangest places.  The only places I've had no luck:

  - In the bowels of a big building along the mass tech corridor
  - when moved to a bad spot inside a fairly steel and concrete-heavy
    lab at the university of utah (works in other spots in the lab).

But aside from that, I've got them working in network closets
and labs all over the place.  Worth giving a shot if you're really
desperate to play.  They're not quite as accurate as GPS (~10 microseconds
vs. ~2-5 microseconds), but what's a few microseconds compared to
sticking an antenna on the roof?

(As a frequency standard, they're quite good.  But you can't autocorrect
for the CDMA propagation delay).

  -Dave

--
work: [email protected]                          me:  [email protected]
      MIT Laboratory for Computer Science           http://www.angio.net/