Re: Paul's Mailfrom (Was: IETF SMTP Working GroupProposal at smtpng.org)

  • From: Brad Knowles
  • Date: Tue Aug 27 19:08:24 2002

At 11:19 AM -0600 2002/08/27, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:

 Because I want to send mail through my own SMTP server that speaks
 STARTTLS and uses certificates that are under my control.
That's a valid concern. Indeed, that's exactly the sort of thing I will want to be doing in the near future.

 Maybe I don't want my email sitting around in your MTA queue for
 your sysadmins to read.
Given the volumes of mail that pass through these kinds of things, that's not likely to be a problem. More likely to be a problem would be the fact that the mail might sit there for a week before it gets retried a second time. That takes careful system engineering for load, making sure to retry old messages often enough, etc....

 Or maybe you just don't have a clue about how to configure and run
 an MTA, therefore any mail I send through your enforced gateway
 gets silently black-holed.
I have a clue how to configure and run an MTA. This is my specialty. I still recommend setting up a transparent proxy for port 25, but if I set up a separate machine (or set of machines) for that function, I will probably do the same as AOL and explicitly request that this machine be on the MAPS RBL (and certain other blacklists).

So, yes. Most anything you send through that machine would definitely be black-holed, at least if I set up a separate system to handle that traffic.

 The Internet is a peer-to-peer network, whether you like it or not.
That's changing, whether you like it or not. For that matter, whether I like it or not.

--
Brad Knowles, <[email protected]>