Re: IPv6 Interview Questions and critic

  • From: Kurtis Lindqvist
  • Date: Tue Aug 27 17:16:04 2002

> However IPv6 has many privacy issues. IPv6 address space uses an ID
> (indentifier) derived from your hardware or phone.  "That allows your
> packets to be traced back to your PC or cell-phone" said <censored>.
> <censored> fears abuse as a hardware ID wired into the ipv6 protocol can
> be used to determine the manufacturer, make and model number, and value
> of the hardware equipment being used by the end user.

...uhm, and? What is the real difference with a IPv4 address and privacy?
You can tell as much (more or less) with a port scan to a IPv4
address...and someone will always track the "ID" (I guess that is what I
call IP address).

If we are talking about the EUI64, that will disclose the vendor but
hardly the make and model number....

- kurtis -