Re: Paul's Mailfrom (Was: IETF SMTP Working Group Proposal at

  • From: Paul Vixie
  • Date: Tue Aug 27 11:21:25 2002

> > 	I still think that it causes problems for mailing lists.
>
> I understand the proposal to be based on the envelope sender, not the
> sender in the body.  Hence, mailing lists work, because they are the
> envelope sender, not the person who submitted the mail to the mailing
> list.

numerically speaking, most mailing lists are simple exploding forwarders
on par with a sendmail "aliases" entry.  in this case the envelope sender
won't change at forwarding time, and this would cause a problem if it were
possible to repudiate mail sources.  such mailing lists would have to
change from

	list: person1, person2, ...

        list: "|sendmail -flist-request person1 person2 ..."
        list-request: postmaster

and that's what http://www.vix.com/~vixie/mailfrom.txt means when it says

   This could scale poorly and may add pressure toward transport remailing
   (with a new envelope) rather than transport forwarding (reusing the old
   envelope.)

> If that is not the case, then Paul needs to be hassled until the wording
> is clear that mailing lists will continue to work.

i don't think sendmail.cf code fragments are equivilent to IOS command line
fragments.  in other words nothing from this thread can be cut and pasted
into mr. bush's router (or anybody else's router).  there are other lists
which are way more appropriate than [email protected] for discussion of spam, and even
the mailfrom proposal.  i mentioned it not because it needed a hearing --
it had already been heard on those very other lists i mentioned -- but to
demonstrate that the most powerful force on the internet is someone who
says something won't work.  thank y'all for your help in the demonstration.
--
Paul Vixie