Re: Paul's Mailfrom (Was: IETF SMTP Working Group Proposal at smtpng.org)

  • From: John M. Brown
  • Date: Tue Aug 27 01:29:04 2002

Barry, I have a wrench :)  Everything looks like a nut to me.

But in all seriousness.  I have to agree with Barry's statement
here.  Spam is very much a social, political, ethical, and financial
issue.

Filters are static things, that have to be updated, and can't see every
case that comes thru.  Even the Habeas idea, while novel and interesting,
requires people to do quasi technical things.  The average user isn't
going to do those things.

Much spam comes from relay servers outside of north america, but is
targetted towards us yanks.

Until we make the social or financial impact real enough to stop
the spammers, they will continue.  Enough people respond to spam, that
its worth it to them to sell there warez via this method.

I think we geeks would spend better time, trying to help adjust the
social and financial changes, instead of smashing on the the bolt with
the hammer...

A stab at defining SPAM:

The sending of email to a person, where there is a financial gain
(directly or indirectly) to the sender, and where the receiver did
not expressly request such email.

Please DO NOT reply to my definition on the NANOG list, else the
NANOG police will get you.....

john brown
speaking for me