Re: Paul's Mailfrom (Was: IETF SMTP Working Group Proposal at

  • From: Paul Vixie
  • Date: Mon Aug 26 23:10:17 2002

> As a user, I pay my ISP to forward IP packets. If there happen to be TCP
> segments in those packets, that's something between me and the person the
> packet is addressed to, ...

...and, occasionally, your ISP's "abuse desk."  If this function of your ISP
costs less than 1 FTE per 10,000 dialups or 1,000 T1's or 100 T3's, then your
ISP is a slacker and probably a magnet for professional spammers as well.  If
they want to do some simple things to keep the "slacker" cutoff point at those
numbers rather than other numbers which are 90% smaller, you'll understand the
economics.  If one of those simple things is blocking outbound TCP/25, then I
hope you have alternatives including changing ISP's...

...but if you don't, then it's between you and your ISP, and best of luck.
--
Paul Vixie