Re: Paul's Mailfrom (Was: IETF SMTP Working Group Proposal at smtpng.org)

  • From: David Schwartz
  • Date: Mon Aug 26 22:21:53 2002

>Force forward by default, but allow anyone who wants to use TCP port
>25 the ability to do so.  They must sign an non-abuse agreement or
>whatever.  Then they get their host/link put into the TCP port 25 open
>path.

	Every ISP I have ever worked for and every ISP I have ever used has
eventually been convinced by me to come around to this policy. Do whatever
you want by default, but let trusted/clueful people opt out of it and just
get their IP datagrams from point A to point B.

	I personally wouldn't sign an agreement with an ISP that allowed them to
molest my traffic in this manner unless it allowed me to opt out of it. I've
seen the headaches such assumptions about what everybody else needs/wants to
do can cause.

	DS