Re: mail delivery time on nanog-l (was Re: Die thread, DIE!)

  • From: Jeffrey Haas
  • Date: Mon Aug 26 17:14:48 2002

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 06:11:44PM +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 9:17 AM -0400 2002/08/23, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> >  Interesting... mail.merit.edu seems to be running Postfix.
>
> 	Indeed, that was part of my point.  They've already made a pretty
> good choice for an MTA to handle mail for the list.
>
> > Did they dumb it down?  :)
>
> 	I doubt it.  They've just got a big list, and they may not have
> tuned the installation quite as much as they could have.

As of about a year ago, the major problems were:
The subscriber list is *HUGE*.
It is relatively high volume.
Even running postfix, they need more per-queue tuning than the mailing
list administrator can do amongst her 100's of other jobs (Hi Sue!).

For the most part, things work pretty well.

--
Jeff Haas
NextHop Technologies