Re: Paul's Mailfrom (Was: IETF SMTP Working Group Proposal atsmtpng.org)

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Mon Aug 26 16:36:55 2002

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Jeroen Massar wrote:

> ISP's should actually block port 25 outgoing, or even better,
> reroute/forward it to their own mail relay.

As a user, I pay my ISP to forward IP packets. If there happen to be TCP
segments in those packets, that's something between me and the person the
packet is addressed to, whether the destination port of those TCP segments
is 25 or something else.

As a network administrator, I don't want to filter applications. It burns
too much CPU time on my routers, it costs me too much time to maintain
those filters and it doesn't work anyway.

Application people should make their applications secure and not impose
restrictions on the network because they're too lazy to come up with a new
protocol once every two decades or so.