Traffic Threshold monitoring?

  • From: Rob Mitzel
  • Date: Mon Aug 26 02:56:02 2002

Hi everyone,

Quick question.  We're currently using MRTG to monitor traffic on a
number of cisco switches connected to various customers.  Now, this is
all great and everything, except there's no real way to monitor if a
customer's traffic goes completely out of whack (i.e. they start
hammering 20 mbps instead of 300kbps) without manually checking MRTG
every few minutes (and that'd be kinda time-consuming, you'd think.)  We
also show individual MRTG pages to our customer base via some handy mods
we made.

So my question is...what's out there that will allow us to check
thresholds on traffic, and notify us if needed?  We do have monitoring
stations, running CastleRock SNMPc software.  We have it set up to tell
us when there's broadcast storms and suff, but I've never seen anything
for actual traffic monitoring.

Thanks in advance!

-Rob.