Re: Measuring BGP routes

  • From: Bruce Pinsky
  • Date: Fri Aug 23 18:37:38 2002

Bradley Dunn wrote:
On 23 Aug 2002, Jeff S Wheeler wrote:

On Fri, 2002-08-23 at 15:05, Frank Scalzo wrote:
*edited for length*

Most of the tools I have seen have basically done a show ip bgp
collected the whole table and parsed it. I know I wrote a tool like that
Is there any reason this is preferable to establishing an eBGP multihop
session with the box and receiving the information by that means?

Yes.

BGP only passes along the best route. 'show ip bgp' gives you all routes. Unless, of course, your vendor supports something like Juniper's "advertise-inactive".

Actually, BGP will give all routes in the peering session (assuming no filtering, yada, yada). It won't give you all paths though (subject to your cavaet above). So depending on which you are looking for, the peering session idea might be fine.

bep