NANOG Mailing List FAQ - draft v2.0

  • From: JC Dill
  • Date: Thu Aug 22 13:43:13 2002

The FAQ draft URL was posted, but we haven't had a lot of feedback. So I was asked to post the entire FAQ in text format to the list, for everyone to read and comment on.

jc

draft.v2.0
<http://www.nanog.org/listfaq.html>
Last updated: 08/22/02

Table of Contents

Credits
About NANOG and the List
How to Subscribe
Appropriate Topics
Acceptable Use Policy
Posting Conventions
Question Index
1.Routers
2.BGP
3.NOCs
4.Network Management
5.Peering
6.Topics We've Already Discussed (and don't want to
hear about again)
7.Off-Topic Questions
Related Mailing Lists and Web Sites

Credits

The editors of this FAQ include Etaoin Shrdlu, Rachel Warren, JC Dill,
Marty Hannigan, Gwendolynn Ferch Elydyr, Richard Steenbergen, John Payne,
Ginna Musgrove, Doug Clements, and Susan Harris. FAQ contributions are
welcome -- please send email to [email protected]

Credit goes to the linux-kernel mailing list FAQ, which served as a model
for the NANOG FAQ.

About NANOG and the List

This is the FAQ for the North American Network Operator's Group mailing
list. NANOG is an educational and operational forum for coordination of
network operations in North America, and holds three annual meetings.
See the main NANOG web page at:

http://www.nanog.org

NANOG and the email list are organized by Merit Network, Inc., a non-profit
Michigan organization:

http://www.merit.edu

How to Subscribe

Anyone can subscribe to and read the NANOG list, but those who wish to post
must first subscribe to the nanog-post list. For more information, see the
subscription web page at:

Appropriate Topics

NANOG discussions are on-topic if they're of interest to people running
wide-area networks interconnected with other networks. "Network operations"
in this context means issues related to entire networks, rather than to end
users.

Appropriate topics include routing, broad-based engineering
problems/issues/solutions, outages, performance measurement, evolving
wide-area technologies, exchange points, traffic engineering, operational
experience, and trouble ticket systems.

Acceptable Use Policy

A summary of the AUP follows:

1.Discussion focuses on Internet operational and
technical issues as described in the charter of NANOG.
2.Postings to multiple mailing lists are discouraged.
3.Postings that include foul language, character
assassination, and lack of respect for other
participants are prohibited.
4.Blatant product marketing is unacceptable.
5.Postings of political, philosophical, and legal
nature are discouraged.
6.Postings must be made using real, identifiable
names and addresses, rather than aliases.

Individuals who violate these guidelines are contacted personally and asked
to adhere to the guidelines. If an individual persists in violating the
guidelines, Merit filters the offender's messages to the list.

The full Charter and AUP for the mailing list are available on the NANOG web:

http://www.nanog.org/aup.html

Posting Conventions

When posting to the NANOG list please avoid:

1.Top-posting, i.e., putting your reply right on top
of the message you're responding to, rather than
quoting and responding as follows:

> relevant excerpt 1
response to excerpt
> relevant excerpt 2
response to excerpt
> relevant excerpt 3
response to excerpt

2.Using non-standard methods of quoting prior text;
3.Failing to quote, or to snip, as appropriate;
4.Sending in HTML or other non-standard attachment
formats;
5.Starting or participating in flame wars.
The linux-kernel mailing list FAQ provides detailed
instructions for quoting prior text:

http://www.tux.org/lkml/#s3-9

See also the Jargon File information on email quotes
and inclusion conventions:
http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/Email-Quotes.html

Please check to make sure your question hasn't already
been answered before posting to the list.
We recommend that you:

Search for the relevant terms at google.com.
Search the NANOG mailing list archives at
http://www.nanog.org/mailinglist.html for previous answers.
Check the Topics We've Already Discussed section below.

As with all mailing lists, it's a good idea to familiarize yourself
with the personalities and expertise involved before indulging in a
disagreement. NANOG includes many people who have spent years of their
lives building networks - and their experience is a non-trivial resource.

If the person you are replying to (or talking about) is unknown to
you, it is best to do some research on who that person is and why they may
be qualified on the topic at hand. google.com is your friend. We suggest
you search for:

"firstname lastname"
or
"firstname lastname" topic
or
"firstname lastname" nanog

etc., and read up before replying. This will often save you untold
embarrassment.

NANOG often has thread drift and ends up with long threads about
splinter topics (like spam, etc.). Please move these discussions to a list
where the topic is on-topic. NANOG is for moving packets. NANOG does not
usually care what is in the packet unless it is a routing protocol.

Question Index

1.Routers
1.How do I know if a router configuration question
is on-topic or not?
2.Buying a used router
2.BGP
1.BGP How-to's and implementation
3.NOCs
1.List of NOCs
2.Setting up up a new NOC
3.NOC/operational job postings
4.Network Management
1.Posting traceroutes
2.I'm being pinged
5.Peering
1.(Not) getting peering from a particular company
2.Locating peering contacts
3.Peering agreements
6.Topics We've Already Disussed (and don't want to hear
about again)
1.What is a "Tier 1" provider?
2.Are we running out of IPv4 space?
3.Private address space
7.Off-Topic Questions
1.Spam
2.Local DNS
3.Network certification
4.NAT
8.Related Mailing Lists and Web Sites

Routers

Q: How do I know if a router configuration question is on-topic or not?
A: If your question is "how do I do <foo> on a <bar> router?", this
question is best asked on one of the router-specific mailing lists below.
If your question is "How do I get <vendor A> and <vendor B>'s
implementations to work together?" then that question is on-topic for
NANOG. Platform-specific lists include:

Cisco routers
http://puck.nether.net/cisco-nsp
Juniper routers
http://puck.nether.net/juniper-nsp
Riverstone routers
http://www.nmops.org
OS/2
http://www.hethmon.com/isp.html
FreeBSD
http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/eresources.html

Q: Where's a good place to buy a used <foo> router?
A: Your question is vendor-specific and is therefore off-topic for
NANOG, which deals with multi-vendor networks. Examples of other mailing
lists that are related to selling routing equipment include:

ISP-Equipment - List at
http://isp-lists.isp-planet.com/isp-equipment/ for buyers, sellers, and
traders of either new or used ISP equipment in the U.S. If you're looking
for rare parts, have excess inventory to sell, want to buy new but can't
afford it, and a used piece of hardware fits the bill, this list is a great
place for an ISP professional to start.
ISP-Services - List at http://www.ispc.org/lists/ for ISP equipment
and services

BGP (Border Gateway Protocol)

Q: Does anyone have a good url/documentation/howto's about BGP and
implementing it?
A: These should get you started:

Joe's BGP Page (links to RFCs, CIDR FAQ, etc.)
http://joe.lindsay.net/bgp.html
Internetworking Case Studies
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ics/
BGP Case Studies, Section 1
Frequently Asked Questions on Multi-homing and BGP
http://info.connect.com.au/docs/routing/general/multi-faq.shtml
Configuring and Verifying the BGP Conditional Advertisement Feature
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/459/cond_adv.html
Cisco IOS Essentials
http://www.cisco.com/public/cons/isp/essentials/IOS_Essentials_2-9.pdf

NOCs

Q: Is there a list of Network Operations Centers?