Re: IETF SMTP Working Group Proposal at smtpng.org

  • From: Ian Cooper
  • Date: Thu Aug 22 07:42:05 2002

--On 22 August 2002 01:16 +0200 Brad Knowles <[email protected]> wrote:

At 5:35 PM -0500 2002/08/21, Peter E. Fry wrote:

   Relay through your upstream (hierarchical approach)?  i.e. Register
 your server(s) with your provider, who is presumably trusted (registered
 with the global system).
	This is the approach I recommend, and have recommended for years.
That's all well and good until said ISP's upstream servers go slow/break/take an age to deliver a message you can deliver from your own host immediately. [It also doesn't scale particularly well]

I thought I was buying *Internet* access anyway... shouldn't that mean I have the right to talk which hosts I want on which port I want?