RE: IETF SMTP Working Group Proposal at smtpng.org

  • From: Vivien M.
  • Date: Wed Aug 21 23:13:10 2002

You're assuming that these people aren't permanently online. I expect
most of our users (I hesitate to call them customers, simply because a
lot of them haven't paid anything) are using 24/7 type connections.
Certainly, running your own mail server and being online two hours a day
is foolish.

However, this has NOTHING to do with IP allocation. A friend, years ago,
had a static IP dialup with an ISP that billed him for an X hour/month
package, where I think X was 120 or so. He could have run a mail server
that met your static IP standard of approval, and yet was (unless he
wanted to pay extra) only online 1/6th of the time. Now, most of our
users may not have static IPs, but they're most likely online 24/7 or
close enough.

Which of the two uses more resources on your servers? I'm willing to bet
the static IP dialup person will, so there goes your argument.

Running mail servers on non-permanent dialup connections is foolish,
I'll grant you that any day, but that wasn't the point you were making.
Your point was that mail servers on dynamic IPs (and you never answered
my question on how you define dynamic) are bad, no matter the
circumstances surrounding them, and that's just plain not true.

Oh, and BTW, you're not benefiting our users by having your servers
queue mail for our users. You're benefitting YOUR customers who
presumably want to be able to send mail to our users, and who expect
your servers to queue mail.

Vivien
--
Vivien M.