Re: IETF SMTP Working Group Proposal at smtpng.org

  • From: Peter E. Fry
  • Date: Wed Aug 21 18:39:27 2002

Larry Rosenman wrote:
[...]
> I think $100/year is STEEP, if it is PER SERVER, but per
> COMPANY/INDIVIDUAL it **might** be acceptable.
>
> (I have 3 boxes + the laptop that do SMTP regularly).
>
> Ideas given this?

  Relay through your upstream (hierarchical approach)?  i.e. Register
your server(s) with your provider, who is presumably trusted (registered
with the global system).
  A bit of an aside: I recall AT&T Canada blocked all SMTP from exiting
their network (excepting their own servers, of course) a few years back
response to a complaint I filed.  Interesting idea, though -- you then
catch 'em when they attempt to relay through your server.  And as far as
that goes, I've seen a system that worked quite well...  Larry might be
familiar with it, as it was his.

Peter E. Fry