Re: .mil domain root only hosted by one server??

  • From: bmanning
  • Date: Wed Aug 21 16:32:50 2002

 the .mil domain has an "master" source, just like .com or <your tld here>
 it has a list of authoritative servers, just like .com or <your tld here>

 You are reading your response incorrectly.  your dig query ask for the
 default, which is an "A" record.  .MIL has no "A" rr at the apex.  The
 authority for .MIL, according to a.root-servers.net, is g.root-servers.net.

 the NSlist for mil is:

$ dig mil. ns

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> mil. ns
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 11, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 11
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      mil, type = NS, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
mil.                    2D IN NS        CON1.NIPR.mil.
mil.                    2D IN NS        CON2.NIPR.mil.
mil.                    2D IN NS        EUR1.NIPR.mil.
mil.                    2D IN NS        EUR2.NIPR.mil.
mil.                    2D IN NS        PAC1.NIPR.mil.
mil.                    2D IN NS        PAC2.NIPR.mil.
mil.                    2D IN NS        A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
mil.                    2D IN NS        H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
mil.                    2D IN NS        G.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
mil.                    2D IN NS        B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
mil.                    2D IN NS        E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.

-----

	all over the world.  Some inside the military, some out.