RE: IETF SMTP Working Group Proposal at smtpng.org

  • From: Larry Rosenman
  • Date: Wed Aug 21 16:15:02 2002

On Wed, 2002-08-21 at 14:50, Robert Blayzor wrote:
> > What about individuals that run their own mail servers?  (E.G. me).?
>
> Get your mail server registered just like everyone else I suppose.  If
> your address space is not registered to you directly, your ISP would
> have to do this for you.  You're ISP would then handle any complaints
> (if any) from the registrar and coordinate it with you directly.  I
> honestly like that idea because as a network operator, I like to know
> what customers are running mail servers on our network, where they are,
> and who owns them.
Actually, it's swip'ed to me (I work for said ISP), but I also run a
SMTP server on my laptop which bounces usually between two addresses
(one at home, one at work), and I suppose that the work address (NOT
swip'ed) would have a problem under this proposal.

I DO understand the reasoning, but it is a **BIG** culture change, and
would take a year or two or more to implement network wide.

I think $100/year is STEEP, if it is PER SERVER, but per
COMPANY/INDIVIDUAL it **might** be acceptable.

(I have 3 boxes + the laptop that do SMTP regularly).

Ideas given this?

Phone: +1 972-414-9812                 E-Mail: [email protected]