RE: IETF SMTP Working Group Proposal at smtpng.org

  • From: Robert Blayzor
  • Date: Wed Aug 21 15:54:02 2002

> I really like this. A sort of IRR for mail servers. Maybe when
> registered it could even check if the server was an open
> relay, and not
> allow those servers to be registered until properly configured. Any
> thoughts?

Righto, that would all be part of a registration process.  As well as
things like forward and reverse DNS matching for the mail server, etc.
But whos to say that once they pass the test they just open up things.

As well as the registrar, there would have to be a "complaint and
investigation department".  But going that far legally tends to destroy
good ideas.  The most important things is the legal handling of
exceptions and complaints and the actual steps on getting someone shut
off.  We all know how people are sue happy...

--
Robert Blayzor, BOFH
INOC, LLC

Exclusive: We're the only ones who have the documentation.