RE: your mail

  • From: Nathan Stratton
  • Date: Tue Aug 20 17:09:22 2002

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, N. Richard Solis wrote:

> Leaving or forcing doors to be propped open generally triggers an alarm that
> prompts a visit from someone in security.  It is entirely possible that
> someone who worked at the facility informed the security staff of what they
> were doing because they needed to leave the door open to fetch a package or
> something that was going to be moved through that door.  It's also entirely
> possible that someone working there was violating the security policy
> entirely.  That happens as well.  I would need many more fingers and toes to
> count the number of sleeping guards I've caught at colo sites.

Correct, I am sorry I think that is my point. There are a lot of things
that they SHOULD have been doing, but they were not. I am saying they
spent lots of money on a security image and not on security. They never
found me using the door and that is a problem, when I let them know about
their issues they rather shut me up then deal with them.

> The point is: people do dumb things that compromise security for everyone in
> order to make their own lives easier.  A good security plan anticipates
> these lapses and puts measures in place to deal with them.
>
> If you haven't worked in an environment where you had to turn in your
> cellphone and pager at the front desk, show a badge to a camera around every
> corner, and get your office keys from a vending machine you dont know what
> real security looks like.

I know what real security looks like, I also know what real security is. I
am saying that I am willing to pay for real security, but I am not willing
to page for the image of real security and go through the hassle of the
image of real security when there is no real security. I don't know about
all of their sights, but at least two have the security image when you
walk in, but the rest of the building and other entrances have less then
my house.

><>
Nathan Stratton
nathan at robotics.net