RE: your mail

  • From: Daniel Golding
  • Date: Tue Aug 20 15:16:39 2002

Equinix has show considerable interest in catering to the carrier market,
and has always been very customer service oriented. Their security is
generally good, and their security managers take the sort of stuff you are
talking about very seriously. I have no doubt that they would take some
serious action if told about a propped door.

Their technical folks (Louie, Lane, etc) are sharp, and their helping hands
is far above the level found at most carrier colos. In addition, they have
folks like Bill Norton and Jay Adelson, folks with real service provider
experience, who provide perspective to their ops folks, and who actively
promote things that are good for the internet community like peering. Their
Gigabit Peering Forums are at least as useful as NANOGs, sometimes quite a
bit better.

If you are looking for more basic, non-carrier neutral colo, it's out
there - it might even be cheaper, in the very short run. However, getting
lots of space in, say, Worldcom colos, may sound like a good deal, but it
can cost you dearly in the long run, with incompetent or non-existing remote
hands, dealing with very bad customer service, or bad security.

- Daniel Golding

Paul Vixie wrote....