Re: ASN registry?

  • From: Philip Smith
  • Date: Mon Aug 19 20:50:06 2002

Ralph,

ARIN only handles the ASNs for North and South America, and the southern half of Africa. And has the records for most of the historical stuff from when before APNIC and RIPE NCC existed.

Simple rule, if it isn't at ARIN, check APNIC and RIPE NCC databases. Telstra is in Australia, Australia is in the AP region, therefore not finding the entry in ARIN's db would sort of suggest to check APNIC next.

Note that the delegation records for some of the ASNs assigned before APNIC and the RIPE NCC existed have been moved to the latter databases. Telstra is but one example. (I agree it might be more helpful if a query on whois.arin.net displayed a message saying "go look at whois.apnic.net" rather than saying "No match".)

philip