Re: Major Labels v. Backbones

  • From: Richard A Steenbergen
  • Date: Sat Aug 17 22:46:10 2002

On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 07:33:45PM -0700, Majdi S. Abbas wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 05:04:05PM -0400, Jared Mauch wrote:
> > >   --The service provider must not determine the recipients of the material.
> >
> > 	One could argue (in theory) that a routing-table lookup
> > may satisfy this.
>
> 	I'm not so sure.  Generally speaking, a destination network is a
> given ISP, not a given individual.  And it's highly impractical for an ISP
> to know the /individual/ a packet is destined for from the address.

I read "determine the recipients" as the process of putting the dst ip on
the packet when it is originated, not figuring out where the traffic is
going for the purposes of delivery.

Obviously to carry something (as in to be a carrier) you have to know
where it is going, but to not be the originator you need to have
no role in determining where the message is destined.