Re: Max Prefixes Configured on Customer BGP

  • From: Chris Woodfield
  • Date: Fri Aug 16 13:06:11 2002

That's why you make sure that any incidents where max-prefix is tripped is
caught by a syslog watcher and brought to the immediate attention of whoever's
sitting in your NOC. Honestly, if all you're dealing with is customer BGP
session, I would propose that 90% of them don't advertise more than 10 prefixes,
so a max-prefix number higher than, say, 100 should do for most cases. And for
that last 10%, max-prefix is a per-session configuration, so that number can always
be set higher. IMO, advertising 100 routes for 30 seconds is far less damaging
than 8000 routes.

Also, don't forget about the warn option - if a customer's organic growth puts
them close to the prefix limit, you should get a heads-up in most cases.

I recall an incident where we brought up a customer advertising around 600
routes, and sent the prefix list our upstream, who dutifully added all
600 routes to the prefix list, but neglected to raise their maximum-prefix limit
from 300. This, of course, had predictable results. Doh.

-C