Re: Max Prefixes Configured on Customer BGP

  • From: Joe Wood
  • Date: Thu Aug 15 20:40:27 2002

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Niels Bakker wrote:

> * [email protected] (Joe Wood) [Fri 16 Aug 2002, 02:16 CEST]:
> > As much as it would be nice if everyone used prefix-lists on their
> > customer BGP sessions, but sometimes this is not possible, or cumbersome.
> > I know from past experience as a transit customer, that I have personally
> > shyed away from ISP's that have restricted me to having their NOC update
> > my ACL.
>
> But instead you prefer a "lazy" NOC, where you need manual intervention in
> case you screw up a filter list on your end to re-enable the BGP session?

No, instead I prefer to do all route filtering on my (cust) side, and have
the ISP do filtering based on AS PATH, be it ^CUST-AS_ or configured off
the RADB......

It's been my experience that a lot of the providers that do prefix
filtering on customer BGP sessions take great amounts of time before they
act on the prefix-filter update request. This much fun when it's 5pm or
later and you really need to announce a new customer netblock.

Joe