Re: Internet outage reporting databases (was Re: $400 million networkupgrade for the Pentagon)

  • From: Aaron Hopkins
  • Date: Wed Aug 14 21:33:30 2002

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Sean Donelan wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Brad Knowles wrote:
> >       I personally know of classified data that has been leaked and
> > published in print, and that's about all I'll say on that particular
> > subject.
>
> Last I heard, the Department of Energy library still considers the
> February 1979 issue of "The Progressive" magazine classified.  You might
> find it in some public libraries.

Which begs the question, does it being classified still matter if has been
openly published?  And can you get in trouble for distributing it further?

"The Progressive" didn't think so.  While the DOE successfully got an
injunction forbidding them from publishing "The H-Bomb Secret: How we got
it- why whe're telling it", the information was printed elsewhere later in
the year, so The Progressive went to press with the article in their
November 1979 edition.

See:
    http://www.progressive.org/pdf/1179.pdf
    http://www.shepherd-express.com/shepherd/20/09/headlines/cover_story.html