RE: $400 million network upgrade for the Pentagon

  • From: Brad Knowles
  • Date: Wed Aug 14 19:31:19 2002

At 1:09 PM -0700 2002/08/14, Scott Granados wrote:

 As I recall and definitely don't quote me on this:) but there are also
 grids of wires in the walls which release broadspectrum noise electronic
 noise for jamming small transmitters.
I'm sure that they have all sorts of methods. On the other hand, cellphones make devilishly difficult "bugs" to eliminate, especially the ones that are capable of automatically answering the call and activating the microphone without any audible ring. You can't just block all cellphones, because many people carry pagers that work on the same frequencies, and many people carry cellphones that they depend on.

                                                                    It
 also strikes me that the pentagon is not going to have many interesting
 conversations in there not nearly as interesting as some other locations
 I won't list here.
Oh, I don't know. There are the briefing rooms with direct links to the whitehouse and other facilities. There's the NMCC itself, as well as the OSD-CC (which had even tighter security than I ever saw in the NMCC).

During Desert Shield/Desert Storm, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs had a regularly scheduled morning briefing every day, and it always started right on time and occasionally ran a little over.

Since I'm sure that the Chairman still has an office in the building, there are probably similar things that continue to occur today.

OTOH, there are definitely other places that probably have much more sensitive conversations that frequently go on.

--
Brad Knowles, <[email protected]>