Re: $400 million network upgrade for the Pentagon

  • From: gg
  • Date: Mon Aug 12 19:21:57 2002

The Department of Defense does posses allot of "network disorganization"
mostly on the NIPERNET side.

     Allot of the NIPERNET "unclassified" network is just plain unruly at
it's best (I left the military in 2000, so maybe things have changed).  Any
shop with their ADP or IT staff can practically get a server up and running,
build intranets, databases, etc.  without practically anyone raising an
eyebrow, this is at the command level.
     Allot of these systems are non-redundant, and pose single points of
failures, etc, but again this is at the command level.
     After moving along the ranks, from a lowly seaman recruit running AUI,
cat V, and fiber cabling on an aircraft carrier, to a Third Class Petty
Officer stationed at The Unified Atlantic Region Network Operations Center
in Norfolk, VA.  I learned that this is not the case for Mission Critical
systems, or for the SIPERNET "classified network".
      As Brad also stated the same.
      All I can say is this, and any ex-RM can say the same (Well RM's are
extint now they are IT), I never worked in a building that had any windows,
and that could not stand a very good shaking, that is, if it wasnt
underground in the first place.

Gerardo