Re: Do ATM-based Exchange Points make sense anymore?

  • From: Stephen Sprunk
  • Date: Mon Aug 12 09:53:05 2002

Thus spake "Alex Rubenstein" <[email protected]>
> > What functionality does PVC give you that the ethernet VLAN does not?
>
> Shaping, for one.

There is nothing inherent in Ethernet which precludes shaping.  Low- and
mid-range routers can do it just fine.  If your core router doesn't, speak with
your vendor.  Then again, do your core routers really support shaping on OC192
FR either?

> > What is the current max speed of frame relay in any common vendor
> > implementation (I'm talking routers here).
>
> Doesn't OC48 POS on GSR and Jewniper do FR?

If those boxes approached the reliability of carrier FR/ATM gear, that might be
relevant.