Re: Do ATM-based Exchange Points make sense anymore?

  • From: Richard A Steenbergen
  • Date: Sat Aug 10 17:57:28 2002

On Sat, Aug 10, 2002 at 05:42:32PM -0400, Alex Rubenstein wrote:

> > What is the current max speed of frame relay in any common vendor
> > implementation (I'm talking routers here).
>
> Doesn't OC48 POS on GSR and Jewniper do FR?

Welcome to MAE Chicago/New York, http://www.mae.net/FE/. But M160's and
OC48 ports are expensive, I suspect its overkill for the amount of traffic
that will actually be exchanged there.

I do wonder why most GigE exchange points are still doing single lan
segment peering instead of having a peermaker type service for dynamic
vlan configurations. Manual configuration is slow and a pain, and with
some of them charging you per-vlan what it would cost for a copper
crossconnect, it's no wonder most people don't use them.