Re: Do ATM-based Exchange Points make sense anymore?

  • From: Alex Rubenstein
  • Date: Thu Aug 08 12:39:37 2002

I have no first-hand experience SRP/DPT.

However, the following questions exist?

Does it scale well to 10's, or perhaps hundreds of nodes?

And, is there the possibility of one member hurting the entire ring?

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, [email protected] wrote:

> Given that your analysis could be used to make decisions about exchange
> point architecture, I wonder if you would consider adding RPR IEEE 802.17
> into the mix?
> While I don't know of anyone using RPR in an exchange point, there
> certainly are products on the market and not just Cisco's SRP/DPT. Within
> Ebone we were using SRP/DPT rings quite successfully in our PoP
> architecture, i.e. it does work in the real world. I know that the
> marketing side of RPR is promoting it as a metro area solution, but it
> works just as well in a PoP. Given that you are comparing a PoP oriented
> technology (Ethernet) with a metro area technology (ATM), I think it makes
> sense to take a serious look at a technology that covers both.
>
> --Michael Dillon

-- Alex Rubenstein, AR97, K2AHR, [email protected], latency, Al Reuben --
--    Net Access Corporation, 800-NET-ME-36, http://www.nac.net   --