Re: ticket tracking (off-topic reply)

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Thu Aug 08 11:54:05 2002

On Thu, 08 Aug 2002 11:37:17 BST, Avleen Vig said:

> A discussion is the exchange of knowledge. And arguement is the exchange
> of ignorance. Let's discuss.
> I suppose I could release the source code. It wouldn't do any harm,
> especially if it would help others.
> I too believe that Open Source has it's benefits, but I'm firmly against
> the believe that everything should be open sourced (as some believe).

You may wish to consider providing closed source to the users (yes, this
isn't as silly as it sounds).  They get a copy of the source, but they're
not allowed to distribute it further, and if you like you can even make
it a requirement that you get a copy of any local mods/improvements.

I've even seen a number of packages that were quite anal-retentive on
this, and for a very good reason - the authors wanted to make *sure* that
they had a list of every user of the program so they could notify the
users when bug fixes and updates came along,  because they didn't want
their reputations being soiled by people who installed old copies they
got from a friend.

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer