Re: Net attacks on CNN

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Wed Aug 07 00:40:25 2002

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Martin Hannigan wrote:
> Barely a dent, as reported. False Alarm.

I have no idea what information NIPC had, or if they were justified in
issuing the alert.  So this is just my uneducated opinion.

In general, DOS attacks are devastating to the target of the attack but
the impact quickly falls off as you move away from the target.  If you
check the archives, you'll see this has been true through most of the DOS
attacks over the years. IRC operators even use this affect as a partial
defense by putting the server in a different part of their network.

Its not really fair to say it was a false alarm because there was minor
impact on the net at large.  It just means you weren't a target, and
therefore didn't feel the pain.