RE: Deaggregating for emergency purposes

  • From: Daniel Senie
  • Date: Tue Aug 06 16:00:14 2002

At 02:50 PM 8/6/02, you wrote:

Phil,
        You would think, after hearing about 30 people with clue+++
talk, you may realize that this is a patently *bad* thing and should not
be done.
Actually, what the many people have said sounded a lot more like "it won't help very much."

 If your route's are being hijacked you can generally solve your
problems in 2-5 phone calls...That's all it's *ever* taken me.
1. Call their NOC.
typical response: you're not our customer, go away.

2. If not helpful call their upstream.
typical response: you're not our customer, go away.

3. Call a couple of Tier 1's who are transit for their upstream, and
have them filter it.
response: who the hell are you?

Until you get back to the people you buy transit from, or peer with, and try to get them to take on your cause. When you can't get your own upstreams to understand what you're talking about, you post to NANOG, and the problem gets solved in short order.

This tends to be the sad reality.
Daniel Senie [email protected]
Amaranth Networks Inc. http://www.amaranth.com