Re: BBC-2 Story on Sept.11

  • From: cw
  • Date: Tue Aug 06 05:19:59 2002

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002 04:41:59 +1000 (EST), Alan Sawyer wrote:

>Might be of interest, BBC-2 has a story on the impact of Sept-11 on
>comms networks (7:30 GMT).
>Seems a little dramatic given the real (to comms) impact it had but
>it may make interesting viewing.
>
>Alan.

I happened to switch the TV on part way through. It wasn't exactly overwhelming on actual detail. They concentrated solely on the AT&T network (not being familiar with the US network there I don't know if there are others involved). They explained some of the basic principles that the network management team used to cope with the demand but the most technical they got was showing the AT&T switch building that got severely damaged when one of the minor buildings collapsed.
They did stretch to cover wireless coverage and how the mobile phone network was affected along with emergency plans of bringing in mobile transmitting units to keep the network running.