Re: If you have nothing to hide

  • From: Len Rose
  • Date: Mon Aug 05 09:05:20 2002

This is becoming ridiculous. Our rights have been eroded enough in the
course of fighting this "war on terrorism" ... Now they're coming after
our packets. While I'm certainly in favor of anything edge providers can
do to eliminate denial of service attacks based on source-routing,
I certainly don't want anything further.

If this trend isn't checked we're going to see efforts made to (as an
example) curb the use of encrption protocols, or whole countries being filtered,
and someone, somewhere that I didn't elect will be deciding what traffic
I can or cannot pass.

Maybe this is an exaggeration of the possibilities, but now that all
the pseudo-security-experts have jumped on the bandwagon, there is an
overwhelming level of hysteria being generated on "cyber attacks" and
bog knows what else with a push to limit what can and cannot be done
with the net.

The IETF/IAB/ISOC and other bodies historically have been all the
leadership the net needs, let's not be so quick to hand over the reigns to
people who don't have the best interest of the internet itself in mind.

Len