RE: verio arrogance

  • From: Daniel Golding
  • Date: Tue Jul 30 09:55:08 2002

(SNIP)

> > Currently, RIR's will issue an AS and will allow the issuance
> of a /24 to a
> > multihomed enterprise, simply on the basis of being multihomed.
> From this
> > point of view, it's easy to make the case that the proper "RIR-approved"
> > boundary for prefix filtering should be at the /24 level. At
> any rate, Verio
> > has been slowly liberalizing their filtering policy, and bring
> it into line
> > with the rest of the industry.
>
> If the RIR is issuing /24s, then they denote such on their
> minimum allocation
> lists, allowing providers to accept /24s from such blocks.

I think you may have misread my comment. ARIN ALLOWS the issuance of /24s to
multihomed enterprises. The recent policy decision was made to allow
upstreams to do this sort of allocation, without having to receive any other
justification, other than multihomed status. This could seem to be RIR
recognition of /24 as the globally routed "common denominator" - for those
who insist on basing their filter policies on ARIN guidelines. :)

It's often comforting to believe that there is a little more order than
chaos on the internet, that there are standards or professional bodies out
there to make law or proscribe best practice. However, this is simply not
the case. ARIN and it's brethren are simply there to hand out numbers, not
to provide a guideline on or even suggestion how to filter prefixes. Of
course, we can all decide on our own, based on business imperatives, the
best way to do that. I just hate to see people thinking that there is some
sort of unspoken correlation between ARIN issuance guidelines and "best
practice" filtering.

- Dan