Re: routing table size

  • From: Stephen J. Wilcox
  • Date: Sat Jul 27 18:06:37 2002

I've a feeling that the fact that everyone shares at least the view that a /24
is minimum helps to contain the routing table. (even if there are still
thousands of /24 announcements)

If a significant number of providers starting accepting any prefix then the
others would need to follow (else they'd get no transit traffic as it will
always prefer the most specific). This really would lead to route explosion!

I guess the counter argument is that you'd still get the same number of
announcements at longer prefixes as there are only lots of /24s as its the
current shortest (if you catch my drift here). But I doubt it is quite that
straight forward and there would be a growth in announcements..

Steve