Re: solving problems instead of beating heads on walls

  • From: Paul Schultz
  • Date: Sat Jul 27 16:06:16 2002

On Sat, 27 Jul 2002, Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 10:56 AM -0400 2002/07/27, Andy Dills wrote:
> 	If you buy bandwidth from two different providers at two
> different locations, this would seem to me to be a good way to
> provide backup in case on provider or one location goes
> Tango-Uniform, and you could always backhaul the bandwidth for the
> site/provider that is down.
>
> 	So, what am I missing?

The issue is how you want to influence inbound traffic.  If you have the
scenario you just described but want to keep as much traffic off your own
intercity links as possible the only solution is to announce more specific
networks that are heard globally.  If you're ok with transporting a lot of
intercity traffic between your locations, and just announce the same
prefix everywhere, none of this applies and you've done your part to not
pollute the DFZ.

If you connect to the same transit(s) in both cities you can announce more
specific networks with no-export set, keep most of your external traffic
off your own network, and not cause the entire world to know about your
more specific advertisements.

Responsible yet lacking some redundancy: connect to the same single
provider in both locations and announce more specific networks w/
no-export.

Irresponsible yet gaining redundancy:  connect to a different provider
in each region and announce more specifics.  no-export not an option,
longer prefixes heard globally.

Responsible and overall best: connect to the same 2+ providers in both
locations and announce more specifics locally in each region/city/whatever
with no-export.  Your two or more transit providers have the more specific
networks to bring the traffic to you across the last leg, but the rest of
the world doesn't know/care about/have to deal with it.

draft-ietf-ptomaine-bgp-redistribution-00.txt has some really good knobs
to twist in order to engineer your traffic without making the rest of the
world suffer.  If/when it goes RFC getting people to actually make use of
it will be painful, but atleast the horse is being taken to water.

- Paul