RE: verio arrogance

  • From: Phil Rosenthal
  • Date: Sat Jul 27 00:36:10 2002

Say hypothetically it costs approximately $0.10 per route (in routing
cpu/ram cost) per router. (average router cost $12,000 and 120,000
routes in the table).
Lets also say hypothetically the average bgp speaking user has 3 bgp
speaking routers.
And lets say there are 25,000 AS's in use.
By announcing as 4 blocks, instead of 1 aggregate, you are costing the
bgp speaking community a total of $30,000.

You are saving yourself money, at everyone else's expense.
I know my math is not exactly correct, but it's an example to show why
people get pissy about this sort of thing..

You aren't the biggest offender, but how should anyone draw an arbitrary
line for "you are polluting too much" and "you are polluting, but to a
reasonable extent".

At this point, I have my whole network in NYC, so there isn't really any
need for deaggregation.  If/When my network expands to other cities, I
will be planning things out to avoid deaggregating -- most likely with
the deaggregate+no-export method.

You could do a deaggregate+no-export method as well, even with your two
different transit providers.  You would just need to run ebgp-multihop
to each of them from the opposite network, and announce your
more-specifics there.  Not a perfectly clean method, but at least it
keeps your pollution local.

--Phil