Re: Draft of Rep. Berman's bill authorizes anti-P2P hacking

  • From: David Terrell
  • Date: Fri Jul 26 15:10:45 2002

Apples and oranges.  They can only do so after someone has failed
to appear for a court hearing, and generally if bench warrant has
been issued for their detainment and return.  They are able to make
exigent circumstances searches when they have reason to believe
their target is in a location and likely to not be there when they
return with law enforcement and a search warrant.

They're also required to be licensed and post a bond in many states,
and aren't allowed to operate in some other states; they are not
controlled by federal law.  In most states such arrests are only
empowered after a bail contract has been entered into; i.e. I can't
just arrest you because you're skipping out on an appearance, I
have to have been your bail bondsman or contracted by him.

Interesting counterexample, though.

--
David Terrell          | Step 1: "configure one system using your GUI"
[email protected]           | Step 2: "now configure 1000 more"