RE: AS286 effectively no more..

  • From: Huopio Kauto
  • Date: Thu Jul 25 03:31:44 2002

>Does anyone know what happened to the Ebone/KPNQWEST European-wide DWDM
>system? I figure that if it was shut down, we would see more impact.
>
>Their IP network load I bet was quite easily handled by other operators
>considering the huge over-capacity situation we have had the past years.

Parts of the Eurorings (the KPNQwest part of the KPNQwest/Ebone network
combination) seem to be semi-active - otherwise bits wouldn't flow from
Qwest to Leiden in NL. But there are just KPNQwest core AS/KPN Belgium/
Luxembourg prefixes advertised on the IP side.

I am worried on the networks that have swapped/IRU:ed fibers from KQ and
have transmission gear co-located at KQ amp huts / major nodes, using KQ
rectifiers to get DC juice to their racks.
It is going to be interesting to watch if/when the still-lit remains of
the Eurorings go dark on transmission level - I've understood there were
couple of _very utilized_ WDM rings in KQ central european network..

What is the legal position of an IRU deal if the cable owner goes belly up?

--kauto