Re: IGP metrics on WAN links

  • From: Jennifer Rexford
  • Date: Wed Jul 24 15:11:34 2002

> Just curious as to what people are using for metrics in their IGP
> and what their reasons are; bandwidth? geographical distance? latency?

We have a survey paper on techniques for setting IGP weights

  http://www.research.att.com/~jrex/papers/ieeecomm02.ps
  http://www.research.att.com/~jrex/papers/ieeecomm02.pdf

and a longer version

  http://www.research.att.com/~jrex/papers/ieeecomm02.long.ps
  http://www.research.att.com/~jrex/papers/ieeecomm02.long.pdf

that might be of interest.  We discuss how to tune the IGP weights
in a systematic, automated fashion based on measurement data (of
topology and traffic) and an optimization algorithm, and show that
good weights settings allow IGPs like OSPF and IS-IS to perform almost
as well as optimal routing schemes that have complete flexibility in
selecting paths for the traffic.

-- Jen