RE: debugging packet loss

  • From: Andy Dills
  • Date: Tue Jul 23 14:38:54 2002

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Phil Rosenthal wrote:

> ---
> From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of
> Jason Lewis
>
> Isn't ping the first thing to be dropped in favor of other traffic?  I
> remember a similar issue and Cisco saying that was the behavior.  Don't
> quote me on that.
>
> jas
> ---
>
> Even if it is, that still means that other packets could be lost had
> those pings not been there.

Not neccessarily. It's my experience that ciscos will sometime drop icmp
instead of replying when under load...but that's only for packets directed
at its interfaces.

So, I might see 5% packetloss from the router itself, but 0% packetloss
for everything behind it.

Andy

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andy Dills                              301-682-9972
Xecunet, LLC                            www.xecu.net
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dialup * Webhosting * E-Commerce * High-Speed Access