Re: PSINet/Cogent Latency

  • From: Matthew S. Hallacy
  • Date: Tue Jul 23 08:14:27 2002

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 08:34:40AM +0200, Alexander Koch wrote:
> Phil,
>
> imagine some four routers dying or not answering queries,
> you will see the poll script give you timeout after timeout
> after timeout and with some 50 to 100 routers and the
> respective interfaces you see mrtg choke badly, losing data.
>
> You see, the poll script is doing one after the other,
> mainly, so you wait too long and then the next run starts
> and then something.
>
> mrtg/rrd is not the tool of choice for accounting / billing
> but nice enough for showing you 'backup' graphs for visitors
> probably.

Hi.

>From http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/reference.html:

Forks (UNIX only)

On a system that can fork (UNIX for example) mrtg can fork itself into
multiple instances while it is acquiring data via snmp.

For situations with high latency or a great number of devices this will
speed things up considerably. It will not make things faster though if
you query a single switch sitting next door.

As far as I know NT can not fork so this option is not available on NT.

Example:

Forks: 4

Of course, people would have to read the documentation first..