RE: PSINet/Cogent Latency

  • From: Phil Rosenthal
  • Date: Tue Jul 23 02:27:59 2002

I have a small RRD project box that polls 200 interfaces and has it
takes 1 minute, 5 seconds to run with 60%  cpu usage (so obviously it
can be streamlined if I wanted to work on it). I guess the limit in this
implementation is 1000 interfaces per box in this setup -- but I see
most of the CPU usage is in the forking of snmpget over and over.  Im
sure I could write a small program in C that could do this at least 10X
more efficiently.  That's 10,000 interfaces with RRD on one intel -- if
you are determined to do it.

I think if you are billing 10k interfaces, you can afford a 2nd intel
box to check the 2nd 10,000, no?

My point is that if you have sufficient clue, time, and motivation --
Today's generic PCs are capable to do many "large" tasks...

--Phil