RE: PSINet/Cogent Latency

  • From: Brian Wallingford
  • Date: Mon Jul 22 23:59:32 2002

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Phil Rosenthal wrote:

:
:With the price of transit where it is today:
:#1 Transit is often cheaper than peering (if you factor in port costs on
:public exchanges, or link costs for private exchanges)
:#2 The difference in price is likely not large enough for me to risk:
:saturation, latency, etc...
:
:My customers pay me to provide them a premium service, and I see value
:in providing that service.
:
:Some people have no problem selling cogent -- what can I say... You get
:what you pay for...
:
:And no, I'm not trolling.  Is having a different opinion not allowed
:now?
:And 40mbit over a 45mbit circuit, if it is to an uplink/peer -- well, if
:he has customers who are connected at 100mbit switched uncapped (likely)
:-- then many customers (possibly even some DSL customers...) can flood
:off his peer links with only a 5mbit stream.

Much better.  Your prior posts lacked context and continuity.

I've always advocated overprovisioning myself, vs. creative buffering,
queuing, and/or "distracting" the end user.  The statement "I wouldn't
think of getting T1, DS3 or OC3 in the fist place", without context,
easily lends itself to misinterpretation.

cheers,
brian

:
:--Phil