RE: PSINet/Cogent Latency

  • From: Phil Rosenthal
  • Date: Mon Jul 22 23:34:35 2002

With the price of transit where it is today:
#1 Transit is often cheaper than peering (if you factor in port costs on
public exchanges, or link costs for private exchanges)
#2 The difference in price is likely not large enough for me to risk:
saturation, latency, etc...

My customers pay me to provide them a premium service, and I see value
in providing that service.

Some people have no problem selling cogent -- what can I say... You get
what you pay for...

And no, I'm not trolling.  Is having a different opinion not allowed
now?

And 40mbit over a 45mbit circuit, if it is to an uplink/peer -- well, if
he has customers who are connected at 100mbit switched uncapped (likely)
-- then many customers (possibly even some DSL customers...) can flood
off his peer links with only a 5mbit stream.

--Phil