Re: effects of NYC power outage

  • From: Marshall Eubanks
  • Date: Mon Jul 22 08:29:56 2002

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 08:05:21 -0400
 Craig Partridge <[email protected]> wrote:

> Anyone got good data comparing the effects on the Net (BGP reachability,
> etc) of this weekend's NYC power outage with the effects power outage late
> on September 11th.

Hello;

  To be honest, I did not see any BGP or other routing effects from the
NYC fire (there were problems on Abilene this weekend, but they were due to
a bad router update). My data are presented on

http://www.multicasttech.com/status

and are fairly coarse-grained, having a 6 hour update cycle.

The 9/11 problems actually came starting on 9/13 and 14 when the battery /
generator power started running out at 25 Broadway. My understanding is that
the biggest problem was the inability to access the facility to refuel.

My (multicast-centric) analysis of the 9/11 response was presented at
Nanog 23 :
http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0110/eubanks.html

You should also look at the other two presentations on 9/11 and the Internet
at that meeting :

http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0110/agenda.html

                                 Regards
                                 Marshall Eubanks

T.M. Eubanks
Multicast Technologies, Inc.
10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 410
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone : 703-293-9624       Fax     : 703-293-9609
e-mail : [email protected]
http://www.multicasttech.com

Test your network for multicast :
http://www.multicasttech.com/mt/