Re: verio arrogance

  • From: Kai Schlichting
  • Date: Thu Jul 18 18:39:03 2002

How's THIS for Verio arrogance, going to a whole new level:

http://www.monkeys.com/anti-spam/filtering/verio-demand.ps

Details were on the SPAM-L list Wed, 17 Jul 2002  15:51:05 EDT:
Verio threatens to sue Ron Guilmette over the IP 208.55.91.59
appearing on his FormMail.pl open-proxy/formmail server DNSBL.

And given the ever-increasing number of spammers now hopping onto Verio
tells me that Verio must be well down the spiral of death (spammers seem
to be attracted by NSP's going chapter 7/11, or who are getting close),
or else the dozen-or-so automated messages going to [email protected] every
week complaining about connections (real or attempted) to hosts under
my control, and originating from their spamming customers would have shown
any results over time.

I don't need connectivity to 208.55.0.0/16. I really don't, and I have not
the slightest tolerance for litigious, small-minded, panic-lawyer-dialling
scum like this.

/etc/mail$ grep 208.55 access.local
208.55                  550 Access for FormMail spam and litigious scum denied - XXXX Verio in their XXXXXXXX XXX - we block more than just 208.55.91.59 - Spammers must die - see http://www.monkeys.com/anti-spam/filtering/verio-demand.ps
/etc/mail$

PS: I also have zero tolerance for Nadine-type spam-generating, "single-opt-in",
  "87% permission-based" emailers nowadays: 2 bounces or a single mail to a
   never-existing account, and all your /24's are off into gated.conf as a
   next-hop route to 127.0.0.1. And no, they won't get around that by advertising
   /25's.

Good-bye route-prefix-filtering wars, and welcome to the war on spam,
where Null0'd /28's for filtering 'undesirables' just doesn't cut it any more.
Casualties like 10-15 bystanding rackspace.com customers with a "Nadine-
type" mailer in neighboring IP space be damned: "move your servers into a
different slum, cause da landlord's running down 'da neighborhood".

--
"Just say No" to Spam                                     Kai Schlichting
New York, Palo Alto, You name it             Sophisticated Technical Peon