Re: verio arrogance

  • From: Ralph Doncaster
  • Date: Thu Jul 18 15:59:58 2002

> (Apologies if this is flogging a dead horse, but some messages are worth
> repeating, if for no other reason than to illustrate the down side of
> not understanding the proper rationale for CIDR.)

I thought the dead horse was the conclusion that small ISPs should use
whatever means the ARIN rules allow in order to get PI space.  Having used
provider-assigned space for a couple years, I can firmly say it
sucks.  Even if I had to talk to every tier-1 to get my de-aggregates
accepted, it would be MUCH less hastle than having PA IP space.

And your suggestion has technical deficiencies as well.  I have a leased
line between Toronto and Ottawa, so I want to announce my Ottawa IPs to my
Toronto transit provider as well as an Ottawa transit provider.  And the
reverse for the Toronto IPs.  My understand is trying to punch holes in PA
space is much more difficult than de-aggregating ARIN PI space.

-Ralph